Thursday, December 1, 2011

DIY - "Book Shelves"

I may not be a naturally "crafty" sort of person, but when I saw this DIY project on Ruche's blog a while ago, I thought it was so cute and would be a perfect way to decorate the painfully white walls of my dorm room.  Early in the semester I bought some books at a used bookstore with the intention of making them, but alas the semester nearly went by before I got around to putting them up. However - finally today I put together this "book shelf," and here is the result:


Hmm... one looks a little crooked 


Now my wall is not so sad!


The original instructions can be found here. I modified the instructions a little to make it work for me. My dorm does not allow larger than 1-inch nails in the wall so that is what I used to attach the brackets to the wall. I used the screws that came with the brackets to attach the brackets to the books. For the largest book I used three brackets to make it sturdier. I am a little worried they won't stay on the wall because of the 1-inch nails, but so far since last evening they have stayed up. If something falls on my feet while I am sleeping, however, it will not be so good :P


Here's how I screwed in the brackets before I put them on the wall
(It would have been much easier if I had an electric screwdriver, but I used what I could find) 



No comments: